Tuesday, October 26, 2010

New Orleans - Havana

I like maps and comparing places on the globe when I visit. At Plum Village I recognized that Bordeaux is at the same latitude as the Oregon wine country. Europe and Africa are relatively further north than the Americas.

We will be arriving in Shanghai, which is just above the 30th parallel, about the same as New Orleans and Houston. Most of our trip will be around that latitude, but we will drop down close to the Tropic of Cancer, about like Havana and Mazatlan. Yet it should be quite cool there.

Near the end of the trip we take a flight to the north, where we will be for a few days before returning to Shanghai. Andy Ferguson warned us that last year they had snow there around the time we'll be there. I'm not sure what the latitude is there, but I'm heading out to pick up a map of China in English. Gyokuko's detailed map is in Chinese! No use for me. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have the map. It looks like we make it all the up to 35 degrees 45 minutes in Sanmenxia. That's exactly as far north as Santa Barbara California. Wow, could get chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drat. It's 34 degrees, 45 minutes, like Santa Barbara in California, or between Atlanta and Chattanooga on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete